The Hogsback Bowling Club was formalised in September 2001 after almost two years of playing socially on the Kings’ Lodge green.
For a number of years players wore whites in summer and navy and white over the winter months…..today it is very relaxed and casual and the members only wear a “uniform” when playing in competitions at other clubs.
Our only request is that players wear flat-soled shoes after rain as bare feet can damage the green’s surface!
The club meets every Tuesday and Saturday at 2.30pm (October – March) in summer and at 1.30pm (April – September) in winter.
We have spare woods available for visitors and the nominal fee (R50 for non-members) for the afternoon, includes the hire of woods, tea and the green fees. Only really heavy rain or snow stops play. On occasion the mist has been so heavy one can hardly see the other side of the green. It is a pretty green set among large established trees that teem with Samango monkeys and are also home to some very special birds. Late afternoon in summer the sky above is often filled with the cacophony of squawking Cape Parrots…a continued delight to both locals and visitors.
No previous experience is required to play bowls and the locals are only too happy to assist you in how to play the game. Come join us and meet the most social club members on the mountain…an eclectic mix of characters found nowhere else in South Africa!
The events for 2021 (to be confirmed:
- 1st October, Tuesday: Summer times. Draw at 2.45pm to start playing at 3 pm.
- Mid October (Date to be confirmed) – The SAVEMOR SPAR FUN DAY. Everyone welcome to enter a team of four. A great day of fun, great food, good company, loads of prizes and always some strong competitive spirit!
- November – GEORGIOU’S SPAR FOURS COMPETITION – A well established annual event where teams from all over the Eastern Cape play in what is always a hotly contested competition. A great spectator event as well if you happen to be in Hogsback. On Friday evening after a casual afternoon of bowls, there is a braai and Barn Dance.
- November, Tuesday: The most nail-biting competition of the year….UPPER VS LOWER HOGSBACK. Not only are playing skills having to be at their very best but tactics and chirping play a huge role!! A fun afternoon of rivalry at it’s very best. The swords are laid aside later in the evening for the club’s annual dinner and prize-giving function.
- We look forward to welcoming you and will update the programme for 2021 once finalised.